Monday, May 5, 2008

So many Cincos have passed

Today is Cinco de Mayo. As a white kid raised in Jersey, this day has little to no significance for me. Fortunate for me, my wife loves Mexican food so today becomes an excuse to make fajitas for dinner and eat 'til it hurts. It is a mucho grande day in the Reksten house. Next year after 4.0 is born, we will get the margaritas back into the mix and probably start a new tradition of inviting lots of friends over for the feast.

However, over the years I have developed a tradition on Cinco de Mayo that I look forward to more than the fajitas and margaritas. Every year since I have had access to email (which I did not have at my first job...YIKES!) I have been wished a Happy Cinco de Mayo from some co-workers from my first job. One guy (Dave Dale) is more tragically white than myself and the other (Luis Rodrigues) is a tragic white guy trapped in a Portugese man's body. I see Luis every couple of years, but I have not seen Dave in over 12 years...yet each year we manage to find one another via email and spout off messages about Freedom, Revolution and Victory. It is a tradition I love and one that seems to endure. Sadly, I am always the last to send the email out to Dave and Luis talking about the great battles of Cinco de Mayo. That is not due to lack of importance - I think I just want to savor the tradition. Truth be told, I begin to look forward to it by late April.

Today was no exception....Dave delivered and Luis delivered and I am about to hit send. I know Cinco de Mayo has significant meaning to a whole people group and I am dismissing the importance for my own tradition, but I don't care, so...Viva Cinco de Mayo!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Next year, I will no longer have the parasitic relationship with Baby #4 that I do right now, either. Make sure to include the Bucklands over to your next Cinco de Mayo feast. I am about ready to induce just so I can have a margarita...