Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Happy "Gotcha" Day!


A year ago today I was in Nanchang, China meeting my daughter Blythe Ann for the very first time. In the Chinese adoption program, they call this "Gotcha" day. Personally, I don't care for the name. Maybe it is because I grew up in Jersey and the term "Gotcha" was not a positive one. However, after living through the waiting and red-tape of an Int'l adoption, I can definitely understand why they use the term "Gotcha"...I really felt like I just wanted to grab my kid and run out the door. After months and years of waiting we finally had her. I wanted to put China behind me and get my little girl home

Blythe Ann was a little over a year old when we got her and she could do nothing. She could not sit up, eat solid foods, move a blanket off her face, laugh, smile....nothing. A little bit of it was from shock with so many changes, but once she got used to us (mostly Rachael) she was still way behind a normal 1 year old. It was a little scary, but also exciting that we would get to see so many firsts. Honestly, we felt like we had a 1 year old new born that already slept through the night. Bonus!

Now a year has passed and I can't believe it. It feels like just yesterday we were in China living off Pringles and Oreos (their packaging looks the same in Chinese) talking to the two big kids via webcams. They could care less about Mom & Dad, they just wanted to see their new little sister. On the other hand, I have a hard time remembering our family without her. 366 days later (thanks to the Leap Year) and Blythe Ann is right where she belongs - in our home. She is quickly catching up to a normal 2 year for development and hanging strong with her brother and sister. She shares the lower bunk with Emmy Kay and is doing great. It really is amazing. I look at pictures from a year ago and I can not believe how far she has come.

I look at this little girl who was handed to us a year ago; she was dirty, frightened, alone and resilient and I know God intended her for our family. Like my other children, she gives me joy beyond words and challenges me to be a better parent. I love this little girl with all my heart and I am very thankful that I will get the opportunity to see her grow up in our family.

Happy GOTCHA Day!

.



1 comment:

happycrafty said...

So glad you have her. We all love her to pieces!!! Happy gotcha day, BA!!!