Friday, May 16, 2008

I think I'm turning Japanese

The other day I was involved in a meeting using Cisco's Telepresence (TP) system. It really is truly amazing how realistic a video-conference can be with this technology. The images are life size and in 1080p so it is almost more realistic than being with the person live!

I was presenting to a group of Japanese cable operators who were visiting our San Jose office and we had been pulled in to give an update from our business unit. TP systems typically have 3 screens, but we were using a single unit system that would toggle between individuals as they spoke. Unfortunately, our interpreter was sitting off screen so she did most of the talking and the image on our single screen was of the same person. We would talk, she would interpret and the image would never change...always the same Japanese man.

I was up just after lunch and it began to show quickly. This guy is "virtually" sitting just a conference table away from me. Unfortunately, he does not have a monitor to see himself, so he has no idea that I am presenting only to him...then lunch starts to kick in and I can see him start to nod off...
Two minutes later and he is asleep.

Image for illustration only

So picture this. I am talking to a man that is asleep in a language he does not understand. Every 30 seconds or so a disembodied voice interprets for me from somewhere else in the room. Still the man sleeps. Once the voice stops, I start into my next train of thought on the changes in video consumption by consumers on the global market. Still the man sleeps. I know the topic is not exciting and the only non-verbal cues I am picking up come from a man who is asleep and sitting only 6 feet across from me in 1080p resolution.

I started out with 2o slides and cut it to about 6. It was one of the worst situations I have ever presented in. I just wanted to get out.

No comments: