Saturday, May 10, 2008

No Deja Vu

Today is May 10th and it is my first in the last two years. I existed on May 10th, 2006 but not May 10th, 2007. It was wiped off the face of the earth for me last year...literally.

Last year, we traveled to China to adopt our daughter Blythe Ann. We boarded a plane on May 9th and landed on May 11th. It was a 16 hour flight and we crossed the International date line. I have to say it was one of the more bizarre things to have happen in my life - just lose a day. Now I know the day was not literally lost. Each second clicked on like normal and I did not really travel through time, but it just felt that way. I read a short story by Stephen King called the Langoliers - it is a story about a plane that takes off and falls "behind" time. The people on the plane look out the windows and see nothing, just black. The world does not exist and they have to figure out a way to fly back into time and "catch up."

The Langoliers was in my mind the whole flight to China and I kept looking out the window. We got on the flight at night and flew in the dark for 16 hours until we landed at sunrise. The really weird thing was that I looked out the window and never saw lights or anything for the entire flight. It was very strange.

So, today was May 10th and I felt like today was a very special day. I can easily take tomorrow for granted because it always just shows up. I hope that May 10th is always a little reminder for me not to take this day or any day for granted.

No comments: