Thursday, May 1, 2008

One for the road

Since July 2007, my wife and I are the proud owners of one vehicle and one vehicle only. You cannot imagine how much it messes with people's heads when we tell them we only have one car. How do you get to work? How does your wife get the kids around? How do you shop for groceries? What about an emergency? What about.....?

It is simply amazing how people today are unable to shift their mind from losing their driving independence. In essence, that is all my wife and I have done. We have given up our personal freedom for the greater family good...I still get to work, my kids still make it to wherever, we have groceries and 911 is still the first call for emergencies. However, we have to work together and compromise on just about everything if we are going to keep things rolling. We originally started with the intent of doing this for a couple months and now we are heading into a year. I can't believe we made it this long, but it can be done.

Our objective is to buy a car with cash (thanks a lot Dave Ramsey) and we now have more than enough funds to make it happen. However, when I think about parting with my cash to just have the convenience of two vehicles, it suddenly becomes a difficult decision. I thought that I would be eager to pull the trigger at this point, but I am not. The thought of another car, higher insurance rates, higher gas bills and more maintenance does not seem like a good trade-off to gain some personal independence. Cash in hand can really mess with your priorities...in a positive way.

So, now that my wife and I have given up our independence, we are looking at the actual costs to get it back and I honestly wonder if it is worth it. We made it this long, so could we go another month or maybe even longer?

No comments: